Monday, November 17, 2014

Wow! I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated this thing! Every year I love to come back to this and read what I wrote when we were going through our biggest trial. It's amazing to read how God held us through the entire time and kept us afloat.

Today, Monday, November 17th, 2014 marks Jarrod's three year anniversary of his surgery. I remember the flood of emotions of that day. From the fear, to the peace, then the doubt, the miracles, the comfort and support, the tears, the laughs, and so much more.

The BEST memory of that day was when I finally got to see Jarrod after 5 hours of surgery and then another hour or 2 after that for recovery. I went to his room and he was all drugged up. The doctor had just met with me and told me that they were able to miraculously take out the tumor. Before surgery, he told us it would be pretty much impossible to take out if the tumor was wrapped around the spinal cord. When they went in, they saw it was wrapped 360 degrees. There was so much pressure from the spinal fluid build up that a lot of it burst out and they were able to remove all of it. Though we had that amazing miracle, we still didn't know if he was paralyzed or not. Anyways, when I went into his room in the ICU he was so loopy. I remember our conversation so well.
Me: "Guess what, hub."
Jarrod: "huh"
Me: "Jesus took out all of your tumor! It's gone!
Jarrod: "are you serious?! Thank you,Jesus! Heavenly Father! You're so good. Jesus, Jesus. Thank Jesus. Thank you Jesus."

And then he broke out in song. I don't remember exactly what song it was but I remember it being a hymn which I've never heard him sing before. It was so sweet. Then he said, "I'M HUNGRY!" Was so funny.  Now, all of this was slurred. I could barely understand him. Then he kept trying to say something to me. I couldn't figure it out for awhile. He couldn't move his hands or arms so he couldn't signal either. Finally I got it. He kept asking for me to scratch his nose. I did and he gave a huge sigh of relief. He said he had been trying and trying to ask the nurses to do it but they couldn't understand him. He said he was so frustrated. Then he said in his nail lady accent, "you want uppah lip wax?" And then went back to singing his hymn and thanking Jesus. It was hilarious. I remember laughing and crying at the same time.

Fast track three years later and he is STILL tumor free! He is getting stronger and getting more feeling back. He's still walking with a cane but he's a lot faster and stronger. Around the house he'll walk without his cane and only sometimes out in public. We also have THREE kids now. Our third is a little boy who we absolutely adore. He is almost 10 months old. His name is Joshua and looks just like his daddy. His sisters are also in love with him. Hannah is now 4 and Amariah is almost 3. Jarrod is working full time now with the same company. They continue to be so wonderful and supportive. Last weekend, I ran a half marathon as one of the ways to celebrate this third year. I have NEVER been a runner or even athletic in any way. I was always the little girl to get hit in the head with a ball in PE. Because Jarrod would always look at people running or doing some sort of sport (especially football) and would wish he could do it again, I was inspired to run FOR him. Football, not so much. I wouldn't want to embarrass him. Now running I could do so I did. I barely completed that half marathon but I did! Jarrod was so proud. It encouraged him to try to use his cane less.

As I sit and remember that crazy time in our life, I am reminded of how much Jesus blessed us and carried us through. As difficult as it was and still can be, we would never trade it for anything better. Of course we'd love for him to be 100% again but the experience of God's hand in our life has been priceless. He has always been faithful even when we have been faithless. Thank you, Lord for your grace in that. May you, Lord forever get the glory from our lives and our testimony. We would have NEVER made it without you. We are also so grateful for the many people He's placed in our lives to bless us in SO MANY different ways.

Happy 3 year anniversary, Jarrod! Youre another year stronger! I love you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment